Wednesday 3 August 2011

An Undercover Agent?

The subject of the talk for the Wessex Women's Network meeting on Tuesday evening was ' An Undercover Agent' and the ladies arrived thinking they were going to hear stories from a spy! How surprised they were when the speaker Hazel Wilson announced she was a corsetiere and was going to talk to us about corsets and bras! However Hazel's talk was very interesting as well as entertaining and what a fun night it turned out to be with so much laughter. [Hazel has a fantastic figure!] But there is always a serious side to our meetings when members are given the opportunity to give a short presentation about their business or any events, including charity events, they may be organising. Jan and I have witnessed members grow not only their business but also their confidence and it has given me personally great pleasure to be part of it. Sharing experiences with like minded women helps encourage women to reach their full potential in their business life and their personal life.

Many of the members of the Wessex Women's Network are Mothers and the meetings give us the opportunity to share our family problems with each other and to realise we are not alone! Being a Mum is often more stressful than running a large business and it is important for us Mums to be-able to have some fun and let our hair down too, whatever our age!
It's the school holidays at the moment and that is always a stressful time for Mums trying to keep the children occupied and I smiled to myself today when I asked my eldest daughter how are things she replied "we're trying to work our way through the school holidays" Probably the sentiment of a lot of Mums.

On July 17th a Charity Cream Tea was held at the Cloud Hotel as part of the Hampshire Food Festival  and a grand total of £811-00 was raised that was shared between Naomi House Hospice and Beaulieu Countryside Education Trust. Our next charity event will be the 'World's Biggest Coffee Morning' to be held at the Cloud Hotel on Friday September 30th in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support. Please put it in your diary because everyone is welcome, we hope to raise a lot of money.

The following day I had the pleasure of being interviewed on Radio Solent by Katie Martin about running a bed and breakfast. However as in most of my interviews Katie was more interested in my career as a Tiller Girl but as they say all publicity is good and I have learnt never to say no to any opportunities that are offered to me that will promote my business. A lesson to be learnt by all businesswomen.

The next Wessex Women's meeting is on Wednesday September 14th when author Lord Ian Strathcarron talks about the The Moral Regeneration of The Human Race. The mind boggles?

I hope you are all enjoying the summer months and having some time to unwind, relax and maybe read. Have any of you read Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach? If you haven't may I suggest you do because it is a brilliant book and can be read in a day. I just love it and it helped to change my life in times of despair. It taught me life is for living.

"Everyday brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and dance" Oprah Winfrey. 


And how I love to dance!

Avril

No comments:

Post a Comment