Thursday 2 June 2011

Looking Forward to Summer

I can't believe it is a month since William and Catherine were married, where has this month gone? I haven't even had time to write a Blog. I suppose it's far better to be busy than have time on your hands and I'm delighted how busy the hotel is but I'm still trying to find that work life balance everyone is talking about. Please let me know if any of you have managed it and how! Like most busy women I am trying to balance a business and enjoy my family, the grandchildren grow up so fast that it is important to try and spend some quality time with them.

On Tuesday May 24th the Wessex Women met at The Cloud Hotel expecting to hear Katherine Elizabeth to speak on her career as a Milliner. We waited and waited for her to arrive but when there was no sign of her by 7-30pm and we hadn't received a message we decided to network and enjoy dinner. We still don't know why she didn't come as we haven't been able to contact her? Luckily this is the first time a speaker has let us down and it turned out to be a very enjoyable evening with the ladies sharing some of their personal stories and having fun.

On May 11th I joined some of my staff to take part in the Midnight Ramble to Hurst Castle [and back!] to raise funds for Oakhaven Hospice in Lymington. Two of my daughters also came with me and we had a thoroughly enjoyable time although my legs ached the next morning. It's not the length of the walk that makes it hard going but the pebbles you have to walk on. However with my Nordic walking training with Karen Guttridge over the past few months I managed to finish the walk in good time this year. The Marine Cafe at Keyhaven did a great job providing everyone with refreshments on their return as well as a fun atmosphere with music and entertainers.

Last Thursday I attended a lunch and 'An Audience with Craig Revel Harwood' at The Christchurch Harbour Hotel. Having been a dancer myself I was keen to hear his story and what an inspirational story it is! He was very honest as well as amusing and I loved listening to how he started life as a chef when he left school in Australia to his career as a Drag Queen and how he is now one of the leading choreographers in this country. He also shared some amusing stories about Strictly Come Dancing where he is one of the most honest judges and as far as I'm concerned the best. If you want to know more about Craig's rise to fame buy his book 'All Balls and Glitter' but beware you do need to be broad minded. I personally can't wait to read it.

We are taking bookings for the New Forest Charity Cream Tea to be held at The Cloud Hotel on Sunday 17th July The price is £5-95 and all proceeds will be divided between Naomi House and the Countryside Education Trust at Beaulieu. Linzi Luker of Linzi's of Lymington will be providing the scones. This is an annual event and if you would like to come and support us and book a table please call The Cloud Hotel on 01590 622165.

The next Wessex Women's meeting is on Wednesday 29th June when we will have the pleasure of welcoming Ron Taylor on 'The Spice of Life'. He will be talking about the history of the herb and spice trade. I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you to the evening event although I know some of you will probably be on holiday then. If the weather is good we will be-able to have our drinks in the garden before enjoying dinner together.

I hope you are all having the opportunity to enjoy this lovely weather but whatever the weather is like remember ----

'Life's not about waiting for the storms to pass
 It's about learning to dance in the rain.   Vivian Greene

Until next time!
Avril

No comments:

Post a Comment