Tuesday 1 February 2011

A New Year and New Opportunities

It was a pleasure to welcome back 24 Wessex Women to the January meeting after a break of several weeks due to Christmas and New Year and what fun we had! Maureen Broughton, front of house Guide at Beaulieu and Breda Nichols a Guide at Palace House gave us an entertaining and interesting presentation of 'A Maid's Eye View' of life at Beaulieu. They arrived in costume and we were all fascinated to hear the history of the Montagu family. Maureen had only come out of hospital that day so we really appreciated her coming to talk to us. She has my philosophy of life 'If you're standing up and breathing you're on!' Many thanks Maureen and I hope you are feeling better.

The Cloud Hotel always closes after Christmas for refurbishment and general maintenance. We re-opened for business on Friday January 14th. To me business is like dance you can never stand still and this year the lounges and reception area were given a new look. Whilst the hotel was closed I took the opportunity to have a holiday with my eldest daughter Amanda and we cruised round the Caribbean Islands. We had a wonderful time and alot of fun. I really believe it is important to take a break from your business and to give yourself quality time with your family. I always return from my holidays refreshed and with new ideas. Anton Mosimann was the celebrity chef on board the Silver Cloud and what a delightful man he is unlike some of the celebrity chefs we see on television these days, his food is also delicious.

No sooner had I returned from my holiday when I was on my way to London to stay at the newly refurbished Savoy Hotel in London for the 18th Master Innholders General Managers Annual Conference. The theme was 'Creating an Explosive Force in Hospitality' The hospitality industry is still male dominated and so was the conference but I go to the conference most years to listen and to learn. However I felt like 'exploding' when a photographer asked me to stand to one side as he only wanted to photograph the men! Luckily for him I'm mature and experienced enough not to re-act but I wonder how a younger woman would have re-acted as they are trying to encourage more women into hospitality! The Savoy re-opened on the tenth day of the tenth month in the year of 2010 after having been closed for three years. It's first guest was Stephen Fry who checked in at 10-00am. My room was stunning and the bed to die for but there was no mirror where you plug in the hairdryer so I couldn't see to dry my hair, it must have been designed by a man!

Speaking of encouraging women into the hospitality industry I am delighted to report that Lucy Whittington has been accepted by The Ritz Hotel in London to do two weeks work experience. Lucy has been a part time member of staff for five years and is the daughter of Mandie who has worked at the Cloud Hotel for 18 years! They are both valued members of staff and we are very proud of Lucy for being offered this opportunity against, as I understand it, some stiff competition.

It was stiff competition at the HRS Hotel Excellence Awards that I attended on January 26th at the Millbrook Towers in London. What fantastic views of London we enjoyed from the 29th floor whilst sipping our champagne!The finalists for the different categories came from as far away as the North of Scotland down to Bournemouth in the South and were represented by the large chain hotels and the smaller family hotels. I always enjoy these events. it gives me an opportunity to catch up with friends, discuss the future of the hospitality industry and recognise the talent that is emerging amongst the competition. It keeps me on my toes.

Burns Supper is always a very popular event at The Cloud Hotel and this year was no exception with fifty four people attending to have fun, good food and wine concluding the evening with Scottish Country Dancing. It was another great night with Harry Macfadyen who piped in the Guests and then the Haggis! It is the ninth year we have had the pleasure of welcoming Harry to our Burns Supper, it wouldn't be the same without him. The Burns Supper in 2012 will be held at The Cloud Hotel on Saturday January 28th and I suggest you book early as it is a very  popular event and we have bookings for it already.

I can't believe it's February already and it won't be long before the green shoots of Spring will be appearing in our gardens. I'm a great believer in positive thinking because I truly believe that positive people create positive results. In spite of all the doom and gloom reported in the media I believe there are opportunities out there and a downturn in the economy can be used to your advantage. This is an opportunity for you to look at your business, take stock, refocus and embrace change. If you have been made redundant this is an opportunity for you to create the business you have always wanted start. From a crisis does come an opportunity so make sure you take it.I did and I'm pleased I did,

The next Wessex Women's Network event is on Tuesday 22nd February when Ian Murray Editor of the Evening Echo will talk about 'Life in the Media' hopefully with some positive thoughts.

Don't forget to remind your loved ones that it is Valentine's Day on February 14th, [they usually need reminding] and get them to treat you to a romantic dinner at The Cloud Hotel.

Finally 'You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to leave the shore'

Avril

No comments:

Post a Comment