Friday 11 February 2011

Inspiring young girls to succeed

I have just returned from the Careers Fayre for Year 9 at Avonbourne School for Girls in Bournemouth. The aim of the event was to provide the girls in Year 9 an opportunity to meet local FE/HE providers and businesses to discuss career opportunities. I am not only passionate about encouraging young girls and women to meet their full potential but also to encourage them to have a career in hospitality, travel and tourism so this was an opportunity for me to promote the industry to them. It is a large,vibrant and growing industry that needs a skilled and motivated workforce and it is full of potential especially for young women. I provided them with useful websites to research that would give them more information about opportunities available to them. It was a long day and very challenging as trying to keep the attention of 14 year olds is not easy. However I hope I managed to inspire a few girls to consider hospitality as a career. It was surprising how many of them thought of hospitality as just 'cooking'.
As you know I believe in working hard and playing hard and I spent a very enjoyable evening last week at a ladies event organised by Scottalls BMW dealers in Chandlers Ford. It was the idea of one of their young female staff and one hundred ladies attended much to their surprise, they didn't expect such a good response. The champagne flowed [I was sensible enough to get a taxi] and there were stalls with ladies shoes, lovely clothes, cards and chocolates that we could buy and all owned by ladies.  Congratulations Scottalls on a very relaxing and fun evening and for not even trying to sell us a car!
I had another enjoyable evening last Saturday at The Mayflower Theatre in Southampton when I took my eldest daughter and two grandsons to see 'Footloose'. What a fabulous show, I could hardly sit in my seat the dancing was so exciting and energetic and there was so much young talent in the show. Shows like 'Footloose' really lift your spirits and are better than any tonic, I almost danced home.
The next Wessex Women's Network evening is on Tuesday February 22nd when we have the pleasure of welcoming Ian Murray as our guest speaker to talk about 'Life in the Media'. Ian is the Editor of the Southern Evening Echo and I'm sure we will have some interesting questions to ask him about the responsibility of the media.
Although the media continues to report doom and gloom I still believe there are business opportunities out there and a recession can give you the opportunity to take stock, refocus and embrace change in your business enabling you to survive a recession and often come out of it stronger. Use the downturn in the economy to your advantage. It has been a slow start to business this year but I am already beginning to see those green shoots appearing and I don't mean the snowdrops and crocus. Spring will soon be here and we will enjoy lighter evenings bringing hope and optimism with them.
Love is on the menu on Monday 14th February Valentine's Day. I love to see our Restaurant full for our 'Young at Heart' Valentine's lunch, it proves that you are never the wrong age to be romantic.
I hope you all find some love on Monday and all year.

Remember 'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give' Winston Churchill'

Avril

No comments:

Post a Comment