Wednesday 25 January 2012

How to be Brilliant!

Wouldn't we all like to think that we could become brilliant and that is why I stayed to hear Michael Heppell's presentation at the Innholders Conference at the London Hilton Hotel last week. I was so tempted to come home early partly because I felt so rotten with this endless cough I have been suffering with since before Christmas and secondly because most of the speakers at the conference this  year bored me to tears. How pleased I was that I stayed because Michael's presentation on 'How to be Brilliant' was just that -- BRILLIANT. I just didn't want it to end and came home determined to try and become brilliant myself and put some of his ideas into action. I'm still trying but I never give up!

Why is it that so few people can really present well? I have a real issue with presenters speaking too fast, muttering and just spouting out facts with power point. A presenter should be a performer and leave his audience wanting more not watching the clock and wondering when he is going to finish! If you have a company or do presentations it is always worth investing in some voice training and presentation skills.

Maria Darling was the speaker at the Wessex Women's Network meeting on Tuesday January 24th. She told us how she has built up her franchise business 'Shoes Glorious Shoes' and she certainly presented her story with passion. It was a full house and as well as enjoying listening to Maria we were able to have some retail therapy and buy some of her beautiful shoes and handbags. These evenings are always such fun, as well as listening to very good speakers that Jan Hoy manages to book [thank you Jan we couldn't do it without you] it gives the ladies an opportunity to promote their business or charity event they are organising over dinner and wine and generally network.

The next meeting is on February 22nd when Susan Symes will be talking about 'Art in Miniature' another very interesting speaker.

Romance is in the air at the Cloud Hotel on Tuesday February 14th and you can enjoy a candlelit dinner in a romantic setting with your loved one. Dinner is £40-00 to include a glass of bubbly so book soon to avoid disappointment.

I always try and recommend a book for you to read and this month I just have to recommend Michael Heppell's Book 'How to be Brilliant'.

I have just finished reading 'The Everyday Dancer' by Deborah Bull. Deborah became a soloist with the Royal Ballet and I lived every page of the book as it brought back so many memories of my days at ballet school in London. The discipline and determination instilled into a dancer still remains with me to this day.

Never Give Up, For That Is Just The Place And Time That The Tide Will Turn. 

Good luck in chasing your dream.

Avril


A

No comments:

Post a Comment