Saturday 29 October 2011

Women in Politics

It was a full house on Wednesday October 26th to hear Christina Dykes talk to us about women in politics and what an interesting and inspiring evening it turned out to be. Women are still under represented in Parliament and on the Boards of Directors and an interesting discussion developed amongst the women about trying to succeed in a chosen career and be a Mother, wife and often a carer for elderly parents. I don't know what the answer is but I do know that at no other time in history has so much been expected of women and maybe we only have ourselves to blame? I have been looking after my 6 year old granddaughter this week [it's half term!] as well as trying to run a busy hotel and I have found it exhausting. Christina was a charming person and passionate about helping women and men to reach their full potential, I asked her to take some of our comments back to Parliament as well as a copy of my book 'Delighting Your Customers" after all we are all customers to members of Parliament as it's our tax money that pays their wages.

I had a wonderful evening at The Mayflower Theatre last Saturday when I attended the English National Ballet's performance to Gershwin's music. If any of you have the opportunity to go and see it do go, not only was it entertaining but the standard of ballet was wonderful with such young talent. I could hardly sit in my seat I enjoyed it so much.

The clocks go back at the end of October signalling that the dark evenings and winter is on the way although at the time of writing this it is very mild for the time of year. The wonderful Autumn colours of the trees can be seen in certain parts of the New Forest but there is still more to come, I always think that the best time to see the autumn colours is the first week of November.

I was a Judge for the Nat West everywoman awards recently. This is my 6th year of judging these awards and I never fail to be amazed at the courage and talent that the finalists have. It is always a difficult job choosing winners but even the finalists will get publicity so it is always worth going in for awards to promote your business. The rewards can be very profitable. The finalists will be announced on November 4th and the winners announced at the Award Ceremony on Wednesday December 7th 2011 at The Dorchester Hotel London. For further information of the Award ceremony and to buy tickets for this prestigious event visit www.everywoman.com

The next Wessex Women's Network meeting is on Tuesday November 15th. Jus Hobbs is a personal trainer and will be advising us on how to keep fit using kettle bells. It's always very important to look after yourself and sometimes we are so busy looking after everyone else we are inclined to neglect ourselves.

Remember to always be yourself as everyone else is taken.

Avril






No comments:

Post a Comment